Stuffed Cucumber Kimchi
Makes: 6 cucumbers
Preparation Time: 15 minutes
Inactive Time: 30 minutes
6 Kirby/pickling cucumbers - rinsed
2 tablespoons kosher salt
2 tablespoons fish sauce
1/4 cup Korean hot pepper flakes
1 big clove garlic - pressed or finely chopped
1/2 tablespoon sugar
1 cup Asian chives - cut into 1 inch length pieces
1 green onion - diagonally sliced thinly
1/4 cup carrot - shredded
1/4 cup onion - thinly sliced
- Slit cucumbers in quarter slits lengthwise, leaving about 1/2 inch at the bottom so that whole piece is still intact. Sprinkle kosher salt and mix gently so that all cucumbers are coated with salt. Leave this aside for about 30 minutes.
- In a separate large bowl, combine fish sauce, Korean hot pepper flakes, garlic & sugar and mix with spoon to create a paste. Add Asian chives, green onions, carrots and onion to the mixture and mix everything well with a spoon and keep aside.
- After 30 minutes, rinse cucumbers with cold water to remove all salt and drain them.
- Stuff seasoning paste between slits of each cucumber and keep them in airtight container. You can wear food service gloves to protect your hands during the stuffing process.
- Stuffed cucumbers can be served right away or kept in fridge for few days.