Preparation Time: 15 minutes
Cooking Time: 20 minutes
2 tablespoons Oil
1 tablespoon Garlic – pressed or thinly sliced (about 4 cloves)
1 teaspoon Crushed Chili Pepper (adjust to taste) (optional)
1 cup Onion – finely chopped
2 teaspoons Dry Shrimp Powder
2 cups Tomatoes – diced small
1 teaspoon Ginger – grated or finely chopped
1/8 teaspoon Turmeric Powder
2 teaspoons Red Chili Powder
3/4 tablespoon Fish Sauce (adjust to taste)
1 Fresh Jalapeno Pepper or any Green Chili – cut in chunks or thinly sliced
1/2 cup Cilantro – finely chopped
- Heat a pan with oil over medium heat and sauté garlic and crushed chili pepper for few seconds. Add onions and fry for few minutes until translucent.
- Add dry shrimp and stirring frequently, continue cooking for few more minutes until onions are lightly browned.
- Add tomato, ginger, turmeric powder, red chili powder and fish sauce. Cook for about a minute, stirring often.
- Reduce heat to low, cover the pan and cook for about 5 to 8 minutes stirring occasionally until tomatoes are soft and all crushed.
- Increase heat to high and stirring frequently continue cooking until all water has evaporated and gravy becomes like a thick paste, for about 5 minutes.
- Garnish with Jalapeno and cilantro, cover immediately and let sit for about 5 minutes. Stir once or twice before serving. This can be served hot or at room temperature.