It is fun to make these especially when everyone get to roll on their own. Of course, you’re supposed to fill a little of each ingredient and not over stuff it so that you get a beautiful looking roll. But then again, the fun part for us comes from piling up as much filling as we like, to the extent that the rice wrapper can barely hold it and end up with more of a burrito looking rolls rather than spring rolls. :)
Vietnamese Spring Roll
Makes: 15 to 18 rolls
Preparation Time: 30 to 40 minutes
Cooking Time: 15 to 20 minutes
1 (8 ounce) boneless skinless chicken breast – cut into 2” pieces
18 medium shrimps – peeled and deveined
4 tablespoons sweet chili sauce (divided), I use Mae Ploy brand
4 cloves of garlic – crushed or finely chopped (divided)
5 ounces rice noodles – cooked according to package instructions
1 whole romaine lettuce – cut few inches from bottom and separate leaves
1 carrot – cut into match stick size pieces
2 Persian cucumbers or cucumber of your choice - cut into match stick size pieces
5 green onions – cut into 3 equal parts
1 cup loosely packed mint leaves
1/2 cup cilantro – chopped (optional)
1 Jalapeño or Serrano - cut into match stick size pieces (optional)
15 to 18 dry rice papers
Asian Chili Garlic Sauce
Serve with Peanut sauce or Spring roll dipping sauce or both (recipes follow)
- In a bowl, combine chicken, 2 tablespoons of sweet chili sauce and 2 cloves of crushed garlic.
- Heat a skillet over medium heat and spray with some oil. Panfry the chicken pieces for few minutes per side until lightly browned and cooked through. Transfer to a plate and let it cool. Once it is cool, slice it into small strips.
- In a separate bowl, combine shrimp with remaining sweet chili sauce and garlic.
- Wipe the same skillet and spray it with some more oil. Heat over high heat and add shrimp. Sauté on high heat for few minutes until cooked through. Transfer to a plate and let it cool. Once it is cool, split the shrimp in half horizontally.
- Fill a large bowl or wide opening pot with few inches of hot tap water.
- Dip a rice paper sheet in the water for few seconds. Remove and place it on a plate (preferably, ceramic or glass plate)
- Place vegetables, noodle, chicken and shrimps to your preference in bottom 2/3 of the rice paper.
- Fold the bottom over, fold in the sides and roll to form a tight spring roll.
- Dip with peanut sauce or Spring roll dipping sauce.
1/2 cup peanut butter
3 tablespoons Hoisin sauce
2 teaspoons Asian Chili Garlic Sauce (adjust to taste)
1 teaspoon preserved tofu (optional)
3/4 cup chicken stock or water (divided)
- In a microwave safe bowl, combine all ingredients for Peanut sauce with 1/2 cup of chicken stock and microwave on high for 1 minute.
- Add the remaining 1/4 cup of chicken stock and stir well to combine.
- Microwave for 1 more minute and mix it well until it is smooth and creamy. Adjust according to taste and desired sauce consistency.
1 red jalapeno pepper – seeds removed and finely chopped
2 cloves garlic – finely chopped
4 tablespoons fish sauce
2 1/2 tablespoons fresh lime juice
2 teaspoon sugar
1/2 cup water
- Combine all ingredients in a bowl and stir well till sugar is dissolved. Adjust according to taste and serve.