Seekh Kabab is a popular dish and there are many different variety and versions of this dish. I came across the video from VahChef few years back and tried few different techniques that he has mentioned in this video. They are all good but his method requires grinding meat on your own. Since I wanted it to be simpler and quicker, I came up with below version.
Turkey Seekh Kabab
Makes: 5 Kababs
Preparation Time: 15 to 20 minutes
Cooking Time: 10 to 15 minutes
0.8 pound (364 grams) ground turkey
1 tablespoon ginger – grated or finely chopped
1 tablespoon garlic – crushed or finely chopped
1 teaspoon chili powder (adjust to taste)
1 teaspoon garam masala powder
1 teaspoon coriander powder
1/8 cup fried onion or shallots (I usually use readymade one)
1/4 cup grated extra sharp cheddar or cheese of your choice
1/4 cup loosely packed cilantro – finely chopped
1 jalapeno or any green chili - finely chopped (adjust to taste)
1/2 egg – lightly beaten
Salt to taste
Black pepper to taste
5 BBQ bamboo skewers – soaked in water for 30 minutes wiped dry
1 large yellow or white onion – cut into 1/4 inch thick rings
Few red or green whole jalapenos for grilling
- In a bowl, combine all the ingredients and mix well. Divide the meat into 5 equal portions.
- Take one portion of meat and starting from the center of the skewer; wrap the meat around and shape it into a uniform cylinder shape (sausage shape) along the skewer leaving few inches empty from top and bottom. Place the shaped Kabob on a plate and continue with the rest of the meat.
- In a separate dish, place the onion rings in one layer and drizzle some olive oil or spray some oil on them. Sprinkle some salt and pepper. Turn the onions over and do the same thing with the other side.
- When ready to grill, spray some oil on an outdoor grill and grill the Kabobs, for few minutes until nicely browned rotating few times for even browning on all sides. Grill the onions and Jalapenos alongside while grilling the meat.
- Alternatively, if you want to make it indoors, use a griddle skillet or a plain skillet, spray some oil and cook over medium heat for 8 to 10 minutes or until the meat is cooked through, rotating few times for even browning. Grill the onions and Jalapenos on the same pan as well.
To serve as an appetizer: remove skewer, cut into half or 3 portions of each kabab and serve with lime wedges and green (cilantro) chutney.
To serve as a meal: serve with Jeera Rice, Naan, Raita, Kachumber, grilled onions and grilled fresh chilies. If you don’t like your meals dry, serve some type of Indian curry along with it.
Print this recipe >>