Preparation Time: 30 minutes
Cooking Time: 35 minutes
10 whole cashew nuts
1 onion – roughly chopped (about 2 cups)
1/2 teaspoon turmeric powder
1 tablespoon ginger – roughly chopped
1 tablespoon garlic – roughly chopped
2 medium tomatoes – roughly chopped (about 1 1/2 cup)
Whole spices – (2 bay leaves, 1 cinnamon stick, 3 cloves, 3 cardamom pods, 2 teaspoon cumin seeds)
2 green chilies – finely chopped (adjust to taste)
1 teaspoon cumin powder
1 teaspoon coriander powder
1/2 teaspoon red chili powder
1 tablespoon dried fenugreek leaves (optional)
1 cup green peas
10 ounces paneer (homemade or store bought) – cut into 1" cubes
1/4 cup cilantro – roughly chopped
1/4 cup heavy cream (optional)
1/2 teaspoon Garam Masala powder (optional)
2 tablespoon oil
Salt to taste
- Heat a pan or pot over medium high heat; add 1 tbsp of oil and sauté cashew nuts until they are slightly golden in color.
- Add onions, a pinch of salt and cook until onions are lightly brown, about 4 to 5 minutes.
- Add turmeric powder, ginger, garlic and cook for further minute.
- Add tomatoes and cook until tomatoes are soft, for about 4 to 5 minutes. Remove from heat, let it cool and blend it into a smooth paste and keep aside.
- Using the same pan or pot, heat the remaining 1 tbsp of oil over medium high heat and add whole spices. Fry for 30 seconds and add the above blended mixture.
- Add about 1 1/2 to 2 cups of water to thin out the gravy and add green chili, cumin powder, coriander powder, chili powder and salt to taste. Stir and bring the mixture to a boil and cook for 10 minutes on low heat uncovered.
- Add fenugreek leaves crushing between the palms while adding, mix well and cook for further 5 minutes partially covered.
- Add green peas and cook for another 5 minutes.
- Add paneer and simmer for two minutes. Make necessary adjustments to taste and thickness of the gravy by adding more water if needed.
- Garnish with chopped cilantro, cream, Garam Masala powder, stir gently and simmer for a minute more and serve hot with naan.
Print this recipe >>