Galbi (Korean Short Ribs BBQ)
Serves: 4 to 6
Preparation Time: 30 minutes
Cooking Time: 30 minutes
Marinating Time: Preferably overnight
4 pounds boneless beef chuck short ribs – excess fat removed and cut into 1/4 inch thick and 5 to 6 inches in length
1 large Asian pear
9 cloves garlic
1/2 Onion (about 1 cup) – cut into chunks
1 teaspoon ginger – roughly chopped
1/3 cup soy sauce
1/3 cup water
1/3 cup Chinese rice wine (cooking wine)
1/4 cup honey
1 teaspoon ground black pepper
3 tablespoon sesame oil
2 tablespoon sesame seeds
1 tablespoon crushed red pepper (optional)
4 green onions – thinly sliced
- Wash the beef couple times under cold water, drain and keep it in a large container or pot.
- With your food processor or blender, grind pear, garlic, onion and ginger into a fine paste and transfer to a clean large bowl.
- To this bowl, add the remaining ingredients and mix well. Pour this marinate over the beef, mix well and let it marinate in the fridge, covered for overnight.
- When ready to grill, remove the meat from refrigerator 30 minutes before grilling and grill on high heat for your desired doneness, approximately 2 minutes per side or more.
- Serve the meat as a wrap with ingredients such as lettuce, chunks of cucumber, carrots, green chili, rice noodle roll sheet and dipping sauce (recipe below) or serve with some steam rice, Japchae, grill vegetables and cucumber kimchi.
2 tablespoon soy bean paste (fermented bean paste, Doenjang)
1 tablespoon Korean hot pepper paste (Gochujang)
1 green onion – thinly sliced
1 clove garlic – pressed or finely chopped
1 teaspoon honey
1 teaspoon sesame oil
1 teaspoon toasted sesame seeds
- Combine all ingredients in a small bowl, mix well and serve.