Vanilla Bean Ice-Cream
Preparation Time: 15 to 20 minutes
Inactive Time: 10 hours
2 cups half-and-half
1 cup heaving whipping cream
1 vanilla bean
1/2 cup sugar
Pinch of salt
- With a sharp knife, split the vanilla bean in half lengthwise. Scrape the seeds out of the pod, using the backside of the knife.
- In a heavy bottom pot, combine, half-and-half, whipping cream, vanilla bean (both the pod and the seeds), and place it over medium high heat. Bring the mixture just barely to a simmer but do not let it boil.
- Remove from heat and add sugar, pinch of salt and stir to combine. Taste at this point and adjust sweetness level to your desire taste.
- Let the mixture cool completely, transfer to a lidded container and refrigerate overnight.
- The next day, make ice-cream by following the ice-cream maker unit’s instructions. My ice-cream machine took about 25 to 30 minutes.
- Once the volume has increased by 1/2 to 3/4 time and it has reached a soft serving consistency, transfer it back into the lidded container and freeze for at least 1 hour before serving.