It is best to eat with Maggi’s Masala Chilli Sauce but any of your favorite sauce will do. You can buy the Masala Chilli Sauce in Indian grocery stores. I’ve tried making these in regular size spring rolls but they don’t taste as good as the smaller ones. It just requires a bit of patience and time but worth every effort.
Mini Chicken Spring Roll
Makes: 20 mini rolls
Preparation Time: 30 to 45 minutes
Cooking and Frying Time: 30 to 40 minutes
1 boneless skinless chicken breast (about 0.6 lbs), cut into 3” chunks
2 teaspoons fresh lime juice (adjust to taste)
1 1/2 teaspoon ginger, grated or finely chopped
4 cloves of garlic, pressed or finely chopped
Freshly ground black pepper to taste
Salt to taste
1/4 cup cilantro leaves and stem – finely chopped
4 Thai chilies or any green chili – finely chopped (adjust to taste)
1 tablespoon butter or grated cheese
6” square spring roll sheets
1 tablespoon any type of flour (all purpose, wheat, rice etc.)
Oil for frying
- In a pot, add chicken, lime juice, ginger, garlic, black pepper and salt and mix well.
- Add about 1 to 2 tablespoon of water, cover the pot and boil on medium heat until chicken is cooked and all water has been evaporated. It will take about 10 to 15 minutes. If there is too much of water, leave the lid open and turn the heat on high for water to evaporate.
- Let the chicken cool, and chopped it very finely.
- Mix finely chopped chicken with cilantro, green chilies and black pepper. Taste and add salt if needed. Add butter or cheese and mix well. The filling is ready.
- In a small bowl, mix the flour with little water and make a thick paste. This will be used as glue to close the spring rolls.
- To make the spring roll, take one wrapper and place it diagonally on a board such that the corner faces you. It should look like a diamond. (Keep the unused spring rolls sheets covered with a damp cloth to prevent them from drying out)
- Place one heap tablespoon of filling just up from the edge of the corner. Shape the filling into a log shape. This will make it easier for wrapping the roll.
- Fold the corner tightly over and fold in the sides.
- Brush the open edges of the wrapper with the glue mixture made above, and continue rolling to form a tight roll.
- Keep it seam side down on a plate and cover with lightly damp towel while preparing other rolls.
- Once everything is rolled, deep fry them on medium heat until golden brown.
- Serve hot with Masala chilli sauce or any dipping sauce of your preference.
- Spring roll sheets can be found in Asian supermarkets in frozen section. Follow package directions for defrosting.
- Un-fried Spring rolls can be frozen. Freeze them in one layer in a zip-loc bag. When ready to use, heat them in microwave for 45 seconds or so and deep fry them till golden brown.