The cooking time table below is from the book of Great Vegetarian Dishes by Kurma dasa.
1 to 3 pounds of unsalted butter – cut into large chunks
- In a large heavy bottom pot over medium heat, melt butter stirring to make sure it melts slowly and doesn’t brown. Continue to stir and bring it to a boil.
- When the surface of the butter is covered with a white foam, reduce heat to as low as possible.
- Simmer uncovered and undisturbed for required amount of time as stated below until the milk solids have settled to the bottom and a thin crust appears on top. The finished ghee will be golden in color and clear.
- Turn off the heat and skim off the top layer with a fine sieve in a bowl and keep aside.
- Carefully ladle the ghee into an airtight jar without disturbing the solids on the bottom and pour through a fine sieve to the jar. Allow it to cool completely and keep it airtight.
- Combine the bottom milk solids with the reserved top crust and use within few days. Keep this refrigerated. This can be used in cooked vegetables, soups and grains.
1 ¼ hours
1 ¾ hours