Pulau (Butter Lentil Rice)
Preparation Time: 5 minutes
Cooking Time: 30 minutes
Inactive Time: 4 to 6 hours
1 cup Basmati rice
1/2 cup chana daal (split chickpea) – washed and soaked in water for 4 to 6 hrs
Salt to taste
1 teaspoon sugar
2 bay leaves
1 small 2” cinnamon stick
2 cup minus 2 tablespoon water
2 tablespoon evaporated milk or milk
1 tablespoon oil
1 tablespoon clarified butter (ghee) or butter
1 small or 1/2 medium onion – finely chopped
1 teaspoon of cumin seed (optional)
Rice cooker method
- In a rice cooker pot, add rice and chana daal and wash couple times. Drain water and add salt, sugar, bay leaves, cinnamon, water, milk and mix well.
- In a skillet, heat butter and oil over medium high heat, add cumin seeds if using, and add onions. Fry for few minutes till onions are lightly brown. Pour this over the rice pot, mix and cook the ricer in cooker till done.
- Wash rice and chana daal together for couple times, drain water and keep aside.
- In a pot, heat butter and oil over medium high heat, add cumin seeds if using, and add whole spices and stir. Add onions and fry for few minutes till onions are lightly brown.
- Add the washed rice and daal to the pot and cook for a minute or so. Add water, milk, salt and sugar and stir well to combine.
- Reduce heat to low, cover the pot and cook for 20 minutes. If water has not fully evaporated, continue to cook for few more minutes. Fluff the rice before serving.
Print this recipe >>