Broccoli Cheese Soup
Preparation Time: 15 minutes
Cooking Time: 1 hour
1/4 cup butter plus 1 tablespoon for cooking onions
1/2 medium onion – finely chopped
1/4 cup all purpose flour
2 cups half-and-half
2 cups chicken or vegetable stock
3/4 lb fresh broccoli – cut into small chunks
1 cup carrot - roughly chopped
Salt to taste
Black pepper to taste
8 ounces sharp cheddar - grated
Chopped parsley for garnish
- In a pot, melt 1 tbsp of butter over medium heat; add onion and sauté for few minutes until onions are translucent. Remove from the pot and set aside.
- In the same pot, over medium heat, melt 1/4 cup of butter. Add flour and whisk for few minutes until flour is lightly golden color.
- Slowly add half-and-half, whisking constantly to prevent lumps. Add the chicken stock and bring to a boil stirring often and reduce heat to low. Simmer for about 15 minutes.
- Add broccoli, carrot and onion and cook over low heat until the vegetables are tender, about 15 to 20 minutes.
- Add salt and pepper to taste. Use a blender or hand blender and blend the soup to your desire consistency. If using a blender, let cool a little and blend in separate batches.
- Return the pot over low heat to heat it up and add grated cheddar and stir until cheese is melted. Garnish with parsley and serve in a bread bowl or with slices of bread on the side.